Since my job is primarily on the Internet, I’m pretty vigilant about my family’s privacy. So every now and then I’ll search my name to see what comes up. And even though I removed myself from the Spokeo database a few years ago, I was shocked by what I found this time when I searched my name on this people search site.
Let’s just say it felt like everything but my social security number–which every paid Spokeo member has access to. We’re talking cell phone, emails, addresses, occupation, relative names…wow.
Even if you don’t work on the Internet, if you value your privacy, I strongly suggest you remove your personal information from Spokeo right now, and here’s just how:
1. Head over to Spokeo.com and search your name. (Search maiden names, nicknames, and spouse names too.)
2. Results will come up based on state, so choose the one in which you currently live. Then pick based on your street.
3. Copy the url of the page that has your specific info, like street and city, and yes, even a Google Earth photo of your residence (shown at top). A little disconcerting, right?
4. Click on privacy at the very bottom of the page in grey, and scroll down to “Removing Your Listing from Spokeo.”
5. Paste the url, then add your current email address in the space, and complete the CAPTCHA.
6. Then check your email (or spam/junk if you don’t see it immediately) which will include a link for you to click to confirm the removal of your information.
Keep in mind, you need to grab the url from each of your specific locations, so if you have more than one residence on the website, you’ll need to do each of them individually. And we’re finding that it’s limiting us to only 5 at a time–but hopefully not for good. Some of us have a lot of past residences on there that need to come out. -Kristen